Mystery shopping pros and cons
There are many mystery shopping pros and cons to consider. If you want to be a mystery shopper, then you need to think about how it will all work for you. It has to fit into your life, you may need to go self-employed and there are other things to think about as well. Here is our list of mystery shopping pros and cons –
Mystery shopping pros
There are many reasons to mystery shop. It can be a money-spinner if you know how. Check out my book if you need some ideas on how to become a mystery shopper. In our guide to the mystery shopping pros and cons here are the upsides –
- Get items for free – you will often be asked to purchase something on a mystery shop. Most of the time, you get to keep these items. It’s a handy way of getting your hands on free things.
- Work for yourself. Some people want to be their own boss. Mystery shopping lets you pick and choose when you are available for work. Set aside weeks where you are busy or on holiday.
- Get paid to shop. For many, shopping feels like a way of life. But it can all add up. Getting paid to go out and shop is a great way to make ends meet.
- Stocking fillers for the kids at Christmas. I love the fact that I can pick up free items of clothing, perfume, toys and other gifts for the kids as the year goes on. It makes for an exciting Christmas.
- Flexible arrangements for shoppers. Many of the shops available can be carried out any time over a ten day period. This means you can ick when is right for you. Can’t make it one day? Then rearrange for another and be ready to shop.
- Easy to choose assignments. All you have to do is go online and click an assignment. You may have to answer a few simple questions, but then it is yours. But, don’t forget to carry it out!
Mystery shopping cons
But for every positive, there can be a negative. Don’t forget to check out the cons before you commit. Mystery shopping must work for you. In our guide of mystery shopping pros and cons, here are the potential downsides.
- The fees can be low. Some shops don’t pay great money. They might reimburse you and then offer a couple of quid on top. Stack shops on the same day to get around this and make the most of mystery shopping.
- There are scams out there. You should beware of companies that ask you for money to become a mystery shopper. All the legitimate companies will sign you up without asking for cash. Think carefully.
- You have to follow strict requirements. Mystery shopping is all about measuring exact areas of business. Don’t stray from the script too far, because you might end up following the wrong enquiry. Thus can lead to…
- Get it wrong and you don’t get paid. Sad as it is, you can spend your cash on a mystery shop, but if you don’t follow the guidelines, then you run the risk of not being reimbursed for this. Read the notes carefully.
- You need to be a good actor. This doesn’t work for some people. Although the best mystery shoppers are themselves, there is an element of playing a role. Think about how you will feel about this.
Mystery shopping pros and cons
There are always mystery shopping pros and cons to consider when deciding if this is for you. Think about how you can make this work. For most, the pros outweigh the potential cons and it is a great way to earn some extra cash. Mystery shopping is a great way to make money, get your hands on free goods and be your own boss. Good luck with it all! If you are thinking about becoming a mystery shopper, then the contact details of the active UK companies can be found here.